Results-Based Community Learning
Home education can be really hard; it can be overwhelming and lonely. It requires a new set of skills, and it is a test of confidence. That is why GHF has created a yearlong program that was developed by experts, professionals, and veteran families. It was designed for you to go through it at your own, easy-to-manage pace with the support of the GHF community.
Introducing GHF Choices: DIY Education
A GHF Membership Course
Every year, families come to GHF to learn how to support their gifted learners, whether it is homeschool, public school, or anything in between. We’ve created an annual, collaborative course to help these families—our community—in that journey. Our goal is for you to complete each year with the confidence and knowledge to meet the educational needs of your gifted learners.Barry Gelston, GHF Board President
Meet the creators of this program, Carol Malueg and Kasi Peters. Interviewed by Sarah Mendonca.
Our program is broken into four seasons.
- Fall—Explorations in Creative and Curated Gifted Education
- Winter—Supporting Social and Emotional Needs
- Spring—2e and Managing Multiple Exceptionalities
- Summer—Curriculum and Other Resources
Each season is broken into three themes, one for each month.
Here are the themes for Fall.
- September—Making Choices: Explore Your Options for Your Learner’s Education
- October—Academics: Transitioning Away from Traditional Educational Options
- December—Socialization and Social Development
Each week, you’ll have something to read, listen to, or watch.
You can join us for a facilitated discussion on the week’s topic and have optional, weekly homework to choose from.
- Write a blog post, article, haiku, or anything else about what you think, feel, and know.
- Talk about the week’s topic in the designated discussion groups in the forum.
- Ask your questions in the discussion groups
- Share what you know and find questions to answer in the discussion groups.
This program will have monthly lectures and a toolbox of resources, articles, podcasts, or videos. For your coursework, you will have the option to write, talk, ask, or share. The magic will be in the community collaboration with well-curated information.
What will you get from GHF Choices: DIY Education?
As a participant, you’ll reap some great benefits:
- Learn from other DIY educators. We’ve designed GHF Choices: DIY Education to help take the mystery out of schooling outside the box.
- Meet new people. Your fellow participants are as motivated as you are to explore and discuss options for a rich and vibrant educational experience for their children.
- Get and share ideas and resources. Parents and caregivers who carve nontraditional educational pathways for their children have a wealth of information to share!
You’re a part of something bigger.
By joining GHF Choices: DIY Education, you’re also a member of The GHF Forum, our wellspring community. You’ll be able to keep up with our GHF Choices: DIY Education activity here and in your main GHF Forum activity feed. (Think of it as our own Facebook newsfeed with course and other activity all in one place).
Because this program is part of GHF Membership, you get access to all three of the monthly GHF Expert Series, enjoy membership discounts, and support your all-volunteer community.
As GHF Members, you will be involved in a collaborative learning community focused on educating gifted learners at home.
Members of GHF enjoy these benefits for $49.99 per year.