Hosanna Patience is a writer, teacher, and editor. She is a graduate of The New School’s MFA program. She was a recipient of the AWP Writers’ Conferences & Centers scholarship for an emerging fiction writer, the Pearl Sperling Evans Prize for most promise in fiction, and she was a nominee for the anthology, Best New American Voices. She was the recipient of the award for most outstanding work in the Department of English.
Join us as we create an online GHF publication that will feature works of literature by gifted teens from across the global community. In this project-based class, students will design the GHF Teen Literary Journal, a recurring online publication featuring writing of gifted teens.
This class is recommended for learners aged 13-18. We meet four times a week for two weeks. Students will define the scope of the literary journal, write policies for the journal, and create a handbook to guide future groups of students. In addition, students will learn how to use “Submittable” to accept or decline submitted works and how to edit.
Sample Course Outline
This class has 8 meetings, exploring different dimensions of the publishing process.
- What is a literary journal? How will the GHF publication be differentiated from other teen literature publications?
- Will the online GHF publication accept submissions for short stories, poetry, autobiographical works, book reviews, novel excerpts, and essays? What will the reading period be for Fall, Spring and/or Summer semester? What are the job roles for students managing the publication?
- What will be the process for acceptance of a literary work? When a work is rejected? What is Submittable and how is it used?
- How will works be edited and by whom?
- What will be the brand identity for the online GHF publication?
- What should be in the handbook for future students to follow for Fall, Spring, and/or Summer semester publications?
- Complete the handbook and select the first works of literature to be featured in the online GHF publication.
- How should the online GHF literature publication promote itself for future submissions?
GHF Literary Teen Journal is offered Summer 2019 and Fall 2019.